Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Quote of the Week

"Let me be as the bullock which stands between the plough and the altar, to work or to be sacrificed; and let my motto be, 'Ready for either.'" - Charles Spurgeon

 The concept of suffering is one I've been thinking on quite a bit recently.  It was brought back to my mind after reading Michael Ramsden's chapter in John Piper's book Finish.  It really hit home again last week upon hearing that one of our YWAM Frontiers regional coordinators, a Muslim background believer named Abdi, was gunned down in E. Africa.  I never had the privilege of meeting this man, but the news struck a chord nonetheless. In addition, within the past year a close friend had to evacuate the Middle Eastern country he was working in after a fellow worker was martyred.  It feels like these stories are coming more and more frequently.The amazing thing is that in the aftermath of these events, Father always seems to move in an amazing way.  It seems like, in many cases, before a breakthrough occurs someone first must pay a terrible cost.  To me it brings truth to the words of Tertullian, "the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."

When I hear stories like these my first thought is always sadness.  That feeling, though, is quickly replaced by a feeling of being challenged.  Am I willing, as Spurgeon states, to be used in whatever way will further the Kingdom of God?  My hope is that these words provoke similar reflection in your life.
Charles Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment