Monday, May 20, 2013

Speaking of Jesus

I recently finished Carl Madeiras' most recent book Speaking of Jesus: the Art of Not-Evangelism.   Going into it I was a bit uncertain about how I would feel about the concept.  Carl tends to be on the cutting edge (or controversial side) of reaching out to Muslims.   With that in mind, I was mentally prepared to disagree with a large portion of what he had to say.   Much to my surprise, I found I agree with most of what Madeiras discusses.   In essence, he is challenging people to return to the sole focus of the Gospel - Jesus.   Too often, Madeiras says, we focus on trying to sell people Christianity or convince them that our theological way of thinking is better than theirs.  When approaching evangelism from this angle, we frequently leave out the most amazing and polarizing aspect of the Gospel message, which is Jesus.   I found this book to be very refreshing.  I especially like how he drew not only from his experiences working with Muslims, but also from everyday experiences with people here in America.   I would definitely recommend giving it a read.



No comments:

Post a Comment